Thursday, August 6, 2026

"petal" Ariana Grande Album Review


I like to think my taste in music is a bit of everyone I've ever loved and come across, but I always had Ariana Grande's music to myself. I’ve been an Ariana Grande fan since her ohsnapitzari days on YouTube. When “Put Your Heart Up” debuted, I was playing it over and over with Victorious playing on the TV. I watched her old covers of “Love the Way You Lie Pt 2,” “emotions,” and the “am i your only shawty” demo leak too many times to count. As I've grown up, Ariana Grande's music did as well.


Ariana Grande's discography

There’s been a growing vulnerability in her songwriting that has kept her at the top of my playlists; she’s written songs that speak not only to grief and the loss of love/people, but also to falling in and out of love as many times as needed, finding yourself over and over again through all of that. Even when the topic isn’t as dark but rather shows her sensual, sexy side, they keep a good balance between being playful yet still addressing mature topics, which has always kind of been in her music since the Dangerous Woman era. She could finally embrace it in her music, to grow not only herself but also her fans. 

For her 8th studio album, Ariana started by saying that this particular vibe/era is "feral, it's definitely from a place that I have been maybe too shy or polite to tap into before, and this kind of just feels like, fuck it", and I have to agree in the best way. I think Ariana’s form of songwriting is unlike anyone from her generation; from producing to the lyricism. 
This album feels like such a good mix not only of herself and a blend of her styles throughout her discography, but also of every artist and genre that has collaborated with and inspired her throughout her career. It’s truly beautiful to see as a long-time fan. 

My official ranking of the songs on “petal” 

1 "nowhere, nobody" 
2 "freak" / "warning signs (interlude)"
3 "oh well" 
4 "stay"
5 "big feelings"
6 "never get over me"
7 "like i do"
8 "kiss me"
9 "bad thing (bunny hop)" 
10 "Petal"
11 "hate that i made you love me" 

My favorite song off of this album is “nowhere, nobody”; it feels so authentically her. One of her major music influences is the amazing and iconic Imogen Heap; this record embodies that in the most Ariana way. She’s used her influence before, starting in her “honeymoon tour” era, and interpolated a lot of Heap’s musical inspiration into her “sweetener” album, particularly “goodnight n go,” which is one of my personal favorite songs that’s on that album and is also a direct remix/cover, also a good blend of Heap's own song and a newer version of it. 

Imogen Heap & Ariana Grande for her 21st birthday wearing the Mi.Mu Gloves created by Heap 

“nowhere, nobody”
This ranks number 1 on this particular album for me for how real and vulnerable it is. I know it’s trending on TikTok as a song for a happy relationship with a partner, but I feel it carries a different message. I took it to mean there’s really no relationship as sacred as the ones we have with ourselves and with every previous version or “era” of us we’ve been through. At the end of the day, no one understands or believes in you more than yourself. 
We can stew and beat ourselves up over past versions and hurt versions of ourselves that we let take over certain things that’ve happened, but we ourselves are the only person who knows what was going on. You can try to run from your past or things that haven’t worked out, or you can embrace where you are now and move forward with acceptance. I can embrace and protect the girl who was going through all of these things, who is still going through them, and who is even going through them alone. 
There’s no shame or embarrassment in something or someone not working out; it’s life. But you can hold that version of yourself gently and carry it with you as a page, not your whole story. 
The production of this particular track is so very Imogen Heap-inspired Ariana that it feels like she’s doing exactly what she’s been telling us this whole time… you can always return to you and still feel like you, despite what might've scarred you or any outside opinions. 

“freak”/”warning signs (interlude)” 
In second spot for me, it’s a tie. “freak” is about going back and forth between giving people what they want from you and trying to reject the permanent responsibility/roles they'll give you because of it. There should be a balance, and equal effort from both of you to find the middle ground. With the song bleeding perfectly into “warning signs (interlude),” there’s a frustration between being wanted and then ignored, put on a pedestal and then pushed off it. You can’t win for losing, and even when you do win, it’s still not a win. 


“oh well” 
Another song I feel some Imogen Heap influence! In the third spot, I feel like this track is honing in on “ I’m letting go of every person, thought, or feeling that has ever screwed me over; I'm so far past all of that that I can find value, strength, and safety in myself.” The perfect introduction to the messages behind “freak” and “nowhere, nobody.” 

Honorable mention: “big feelings”
 It is exactly the type of sexy, sultry, freak-iana that I mentioned from the dangerous woman era in 2016! Saying “you must’ve earned me historically” and “you can blame the moon or blame the tides” to change it to “you can blame the stars or blame your sign, this sex is ‘bout to make a grown man cry” oh goodness, in a time where young and grown women feel less important when it comes to sex in this day and age of social media and dating, I think it’s a fun and playful way to say you gotta yearn to earn.  I honestly love the way she’s able to drop songs that are so unapologetically sex-forward; that dangerous woman time really allowed her, at 22/23 years old, to mention it in a positive way that showed there’s no shame in growing up and starting to be open and embrace your body/sexuality and feel beautiful. 

Dangerous Woman 10th Anniversary cover


That's all on my short and sweet review of the new album "petal"! I am confident in saying that this is my all-time favorite album by her. She was absolutely spot-on by describing it as feral.

I would also be absolutely remiss if I didn't give a big shout-out to one of the biggest Ariana Grande fans other than me, Diego. Even though we didn't get to hear it with you on earth, we know you got that listening party in your eternal sunshine. ♡ ⋆。˚❀ 

I'll see you all next week. Take care of yourselves and tell your people you love them! 

From Layla, 
With love ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief sucks... so bad.

I think my grief is starting to take over. I’m not too sure what I’m trying to say by that, or how exactly I’m expecting a conversation like...